All Forums Tools
astocks 22 posts Joined 03/11
16 Aug 2011
SQL Assistant: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException

Anyone know why I would be getting the below error during query execution? I'm assuming it has something to do with the grid that it is trying to populate with the results from the query.

SQLA Version:
Driver Version: Teradata.Net
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: value
at FarPoint.Win.Spread.Model.DefaultSheetAxisModel.SetSiz e(Int32 index, Int32 value)
at FarPoint.Win.Spread.SheetView.SetColumnWidth(Int32 column, Int32 value)
at Teradata.SQLA.Answer.SetColumnWidths() in F:\ttu1310_efix_snap\tdcli\qman\sqla\Answer.vb:line 235
at Teradata.SQLA.RunQry.FinishResultset() in F:\ttu1310_efix_snap\tdcli\qman\sqla\RunQry.vb:line 849

MikeDempsey 94 posts Joined 10/06
18 Aug 2011

Can you reproduce this problem?
If so can you send me the SQL (or a stripped down version that still exhibits the problem) together with any Table/View definitions I would need to recreate it.
Send to:

I can see that the problem occurs when I try to adjust the widths of the columns to fit the data but in order to improve performance that process works differently depending on the data type of the columns.

The problem appears to be occuring when handling a 'wide' column - one where the data is wider than the width of the visible grid area.

TdMan 91 posts Joined 01/07
06 Jan 2012

Increase the "Maximum Response Buffer Size" value in SQL assistant properties to avoid this issue.

navanomula 3 posts Joined 10/11
05 Jun 2012

How can I increase that?

NetFx 346 posts Joined 09/06
06 Jun 2012

The Exception shown above (see the stack trace) is not related to the Maximum Response Buffer Size.

MikeDempsey 94 posts Joined 10/06
06 Jun 2012

This problem depends on the data type of the column it is trying to size.
I would need to know the definition of the columns returned by the query, the column titles [if different from the column names] and maybe some sample data.

A copy of the UserOptions.config file would also be helpful to determine your window sizes etc.

Changes were made that may have corrected this problem since Have you tried the latest versions? (14.01, or

navanomula 3 posts Joined 10/11
06 Jun 2012

I am using 13.10 at my client place. I am sure this is nothing with data definitions, because if I run the same query's in 12 - they are working fine. this is not the first time I am having hardtime. At my previous client place also I had the same issue (It was 13.10 again). I was bugging somany (like collegues/dba's). I couldn't get resolution. The strange thing is - other team members using the same version, however it is working fine except few. If you connect new session it will work some time. At my previous client place - I was frustrated with this issue and I went to install TD12. I was happy with 12. I do not have enough time to research on this issue. Does any one having same difficulty? If anyone know the resolution, please share it.

MikeDempsey 94 posts Joined 10/06
11 Jun 2012

SQLA 13.x uses completely different code to set the column widths, and that code varies depending on the data type/size.

The only way I have been able to reproduce this problem is if the Answerset mode is set to 'Never' and I have an existing answerset [that new answers will be written to] that is currently minimized.
Same would apply if multiple results were returned and you minimized the Answerset before all results had been returned.

To avoid the problem ensure that the Answer window is not too narrow. [Generally - Not minimized - which effectively has a width of zero]

I added 2 fixes in (For TTU 13.10)
   1) avoids the 'narrow window' problem.
   2) traps any error that occurs while setting column widths and simply continues. (Widths may not be set)

Same fix is in 14.01.

You must sign in to leave a comment.