All Forums Database
Senthilkumar 14 posts Joined 08/07
15 Dec 2009
string contains an untranslatable

Hi All,I'm facing below error.Error: The string contains an untranslatable character.My query is like this...Sel column1, column2, column2 from table1union allSel column1, column2, column2 from table2Note:All columns are varchar data type in both the tables.If i execute the two selects individually, it is working fine.Expeting some clue to identify the issue. Please help.Thanks,Sen

Jimm 298 posts Joined 09/07
15 Dec 2009

One of the columns in the query has Latin characters in one table and Unicode in the other.Check that the character sets are the same. (DBC.Columns has the character set information, or use Show Table.)Further, one of the columns has a character which cannot be translated from Unicode to Latin or vice versa.See Functions & Operators manual - Translate_CHK function to find out which column and row has bad data.The problem is probably in a Latin field with a character which cannot convert to Unicode.

Senthilkumar 14 posts Joined 08/07
16 Dec 2009

Thanks a lot Jimm! The issue is because of the same reason as you mentioned.

leeven 6 posts Joined 12/09
23 Dec 2009

select translate_chk(xxx using latin_to_unicode) = 0

vizzu.88 1 post Joined 03/12
01 Mar 2012

Hi,

I am facing a issue while loading data in Teradata. The error is like 'THE STRING CONTAINS AN UNTRANSALABLE CHARECTER'. There are only 2 varchar columns in the data bieng loaded and one of the column is having two tab space in between 2 sentences. Can this cause an issue? Please suggest the possibilities of the this issue.

ulrich 816 posts Joined 09/09
01 Mar 2012

Which tool do you use?

Can you share the table definition? Are the target columns defined with unicode or latin char set?

Can you share the load script?

feel free to donate bitcoin:12kgAUHFUqvG2sQgaRBXFhCwyf9HXdkGud

Girish kandan 2 posts Joined 11/15
24 Nov 2015

Hi all,
We were facing a similar kind of issue.Got an error like the string contains an untranslatable character. unable to get catalog string while loading the data from informatica to teradata. 
THe source is from a salesforce application and we pulled the data from it through INFORMATICA Connection . For that Connection we used MS-Latin Encoding. After pulling the data we try to load it in a teradata table where we get the above error when we use the character set of the column as unicode. Insert is failed completely. 
When we use the character set as Latin the data is inserted into the partcular column of the table but i get few junk values instead of the actual data which should be in chinese. 
1.initially we tried to connect to informatica with MS-LATIN datatype and table was craeted with column datatype as latin as well. Insert hppened but we got junk values instead of chinese characters.
2. Then we we tried connecting with UTF-8 unicode encoding and table column(name) datatype was set to unicode as well. Insert failed.ERROR MESSAGE: string contains an untranslatable character. unable to get catalog string.
In oracle it shows the actual chinese data and gets inserted without any error. The problem is only with teradata. Please try to help me as this is very important.
 
With regards
M Girish kandan
 
 
 

With regards
M Girish kandan

david.craig 73 posts Joined 05/13
24 Nov 2015

If you need support for Chinese in the Teradata Database, then the Unicode server character set with a Unicode Client character set like UTF8 is the correct approach. Teradata currently (TD15.10) only supports BMP characters in Unicode version 6.0. Your Chinese ideographs may be supported in Unicode, but not by Teradata. The current workaround is to use the Unicode Toolkit UDFs for replacement character substitution. The Toolkit is available for download on the developer exchange.
If you know the failing UTF8 encoding, I can tell you if it is supported.
 
- Dave

Fred 1096 posts Joined 08/04
24 Nov 2015

Please start a new topic for a new question.
The column must be defined as UNICODE. Both the load and the query should use UTF8 or UTF16 session character set. Other than that, double check how the data is being pulled from Salesforce; often problems of this sort are due to improper transcoding during export.

You must sign in to leave a comment.